Are you prepared when you go fishing? Do you have a first aid kit handy in case of injuries?
If you’re not into purchasing a pre-made first aid kit then here’s a list of items that we think should make up a D.I.Y. kit. This is just in case you, or someone fishing near you, has an injury or needs first aid.
First thing you’re going to need is a container of some description to put all the items into. A good idea is to get yourself a toolbox which has compartments so items can be easily seen. You don’t want to be rummaging around in your kit while you’re spurting blood. However, you can also go with 8×14-inch roll-top dry bag.
- Adhesive plastic strips x 30
- Adhesive dressing tape: 2.5 centimeter (1.0 in) x 5 centimeter (2.0 in) x 1
- Triangular bandage x 1
- Non-adhesive dressings x3
- Both hand sanitizer gel and broken bar of pumice-type soap to clean hands
- Disposable latex gloves x 1
- Sterile tubes of saline solution (minimum 10ml) x 3
- Medium combine dressing pads (9 x 20cm) x 1
- Gauze bandage 5 centimeter (2.0 in) width x 1
- Scissors (for cutting gauze and bandages) x 1
- Tube of antiseptic cream x 1 (For minor cuts in order to prevent infection)
- Sunburn lotion (relief cream) x 1
- Small bottle of Betadine x 1 (A basic antiseptic for wounds to kill germs and stop infection)
- Tweezers x 1 (To remove splinters or foreign matter in a wound)
- Small box of matches (For sterilizing tweezers and needles)
- Instant ice pack (For bruising and surface injuries)
- Pack of tissues x 1 (For cleaning generally)
- Insect bite cream x 1 (For mosquito bites, or worse)
- Pain medication such as Panadol or Nurofen x 1
- Cotton balls and tips x 20
Other if there is room:
- Couple sewing needles in small container to assist stinger/splinter removal, draining blisters, and maybe even emergency sewing
- Small magnifying lens to look for splinters and stingers
- Elastic bandage to bind sprains, splints etc.
- Mylar “space” blanket
You can leave the kit in your vehicle or take onboard any boat. Make sure you regularly check the kit and replace any used, damaged or out of date items.